Sunday, February 27, 2011

Foodie or Food Addict?

I have had a love affair with food my whole life. At one point, I felt I was addicted to food and wondered if my voracious desire fell under the term of gluttony in the Bible. Are You a Food Addict or a Foodie? 

At www.allaboutlifechallenges.org/food-addiction.htm, they describe Food addiction as “a contemporary term used to describe a pathological disorder; the compulsive, excessive craving for and consumption of food. This condition is not only manifested by the abnormal intake of food, but the intake and craving for foods that are, in themselves, harmful to the individual.” 

I attended a course at the Institute for the Achievement of Human Potential to learn about how to be the best mom I could be for my 2 babies. There was a room full of parents from all over the world that attended this course and we were all surprised when they talked to us about our diet. We had embraced all their previous recommendations but when they told us to switch to an organic diet and go on a 3 month elimination cleanse, we were hot! At lunch that was the only topic of discussion. 

When we resumed, they interviewed many families about the importance of their dietary changes. Despite all their powerful assertions, I raised my hand and told them I couldn’t afford to eat organic food because I had five children. They asked me how much more expensive organic food was and I said double and sometimes triple (I know, I’m a cheap Indian). They told me to eat half as much because the food was 8 times more nutritious and the result would be a healthier body at the same budget. They ended by telling us that they had spent millions of dollars on nutrition research and they could cure autism, chronic fatigue syndrome, and a host of other diseases with diet. They said we were privileged to have well children and that if we came back with sick children because of our refusal to change our diet, we would be to blame. 

After deep thought, I decided to at least try the 3 month elimination diet. I followed the diet 80% for a week with no notable changes. I finally purged my house of all the banned food and after 72 hours felt like a different person. I learned that my food allergies were dairy, eggs and citrus. That was interesting because they were my favorite foods. I never drank water without lemon in it. Eggs Benedict was my favorite breakfast, Flan my favorite dessert and quiche my favorite lunch. Cheese and ice cream was the food of gods as far as I was concerned. The site says that “Studies are also continuing regarding certain proteins in milk and wheat which when ingested produce narcotic-like effects. These chemicals mimic the body’s natural painkillers, endorphins, and have thus been termed “exorphins.”” Other books I’ve read back up this information. 

“The pistachio prescription” which I read years ago is a book for young people where a girl turned to pistachios every time she was depressed. Her sister had a different food addiction. Mine was pasta and pizza. These books make this habbit seem harmless but it’s important to realize the somber truth that food can be the death of you -- the same way alcohol and drugs can be. You must develop a strong motivation to change your addictive behavior. Banish the thinking that it’s your life and you can eat whatever you want. Realize that our lives are inter-connected and people look to us for support and rely on us as role models. Your own food choices can not only mean a death sentence for you but for your family and friends that adopt the same attitude. 

I laud IAHP for standing up for health and I beg everyone to put their health and the health of their family before their food addictions. Become educated, watch Food Matters, Food Inc. Supersize Me and other movies that will open your eyes. Tune in to watch our show “Make Love in the Kitchen” at 7:00 p.m. this Tuesday March 1st on www.centralvalleytalk.com to learn how one family made dietary changes that improved their health and learn how to make fantastic healthy food. Become a fan of our facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Make-Love-in-the-Kitchen/197747576910763?sk=wall 

Like the IAHP, I’m determined to help others free themselves of food addictions, won’t you join this worthy cause? A journey of health begins with a single change. Join me so we can all Make Love and not sickness in the Kitchen. 

Yours in food and health, 

Tara Hamilton

www.wholefarmsonline.org, tarahamilton@me.com
www.makelovinthekitchen.tv

No comments:

Post a Comment