Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Simple Eye

Images
Wander lust bit me as far back as I can remember. The desire to travel the world and eat the finer things in life was the stuff my dreams were made of. My travel dreams came true when we owned a successful printing company. I researched the finest restaurants in every city and the trip centered around dining out. Now, as a frugal, organic farmer living in Fresno -- rather than in beautiful San Diego or Cosmopolitan Toronto or even Ethnic India, both my travel and culinary dreams are largely repressed.

It's hard for me to keep a simple eye with respect to these things. My ultimate dream career was being a personal travel sampler. The king had a taster, and although rich people have lots of money, they all have limited time. My idea was to go to exotic locales, find the coolest things to do and the best food to eat. Plan an itinerary where people could see the hidden gems of the location, be treated to the best health services, like massage and hot springs and eat the finest food. Whether I'm part of the vacation or not, I get excited when someone is going to travel. I want them to get the most out of their trip, whether it's business or vacation.

This past weekend was my first trip where I dined out extensively since adopting a pure food lifestyle. We stayed at the Hilton in Scotts Valley near Santa Cruz. Excellent hotel that I was able to get on priceline. Then we packed our picnic lunch and supper for Thursday since I wasn't going to pay the ridiculous prices for a Thanksgiving meal since we don't celebrate it anyway. I had pre-selected two excellent organic pizza restaurants, one in San Francisco and one in Santa Cruz. I spent a hundred dollars at the farmers market in Aptos buying fresh berries, sprouts and other items for our lunches on Saturday and Sunday. We dined at the most beautiful restaurant in Capitola called ShadowBrook. We ate organic sorbet and organic vegan hot dogs as a junk food thing. This trip followed a day trip to L.A. where we dined at two raw restaurants.

I have to tell you, my body was not happy with me.  When I ate at the two restaurants (both raw) in L.A, I needed to take a 2 hour nap because there was so much oil on their food. It all glistened with it. The organic thin crust pizza was probably the best choice of my trip. Shadowbrook left me feeling as heavy as the raw restaurants. For the frist time in my life, I appreciated what Jesus said in the Bible "The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is simple, your whole body will be bright".

As I walked to work yesterday, I took time to converse with my God, Jehovah, and to thank him for the simple realization that it took me a lifetime to arrive at. I have the best life in the world. Every day I get to play with his food creations. I express my creativity and love in the diverse creations that preserve the inherent nutrients and flavors he endowed the food with. Keeping my eye simple by eating pure food has kept my whole body bright. My mind is sharp and alert. My feet tap energetically to the jazz playing at the cafe. My fingers deeply massage the greens, my skin glows with the purity of the food I've consumed and my eyes shine from gazing at my customers, my friends and family partaking, in these simple delights with me.

Perhaps it was an overindulgence in finer things that brought me to the realization that I don't want the life of the rich and famous. Maybe it was the thorough saturation of pure food this last year, or it could have been the little bulge my tummy acquired over this vacation -- whatever the case, I now revel in simple things. As the world bombards you with culinary temptations that will only make you irritable, drowsy and fat -- remember the simple life is the best one.

I finally understand. The glamor of dating, the excitement of courting is the stuff dreams are made of. Especially when money isn't a problem. Some people spend their whole lives dating and courting, touting the virtues of the single life. But it should be a prelude to a much deeper relationship. The excitement settles into a yearning. A gentle missing the person when they aren't with you. Instead of discovering new things about them, you draw on knowledge of your love to anticipate their needs and provide them with what they need so they never have eyes for anyone else. Your mate is what you're content with 24/7 for the rest of your life. When a stud comes along promising the world, you reject it, knowing that empty promises lead to broken hearts. All these years, I was courting food, trying to find the fit that was best for me. But now I'm married. My pure food lifestyle satiates me completely and I must keep my eye simple so that like a naive schoolgirl, I'm not seduced by a deceptive promise of things that aren't real.

I promise now and forever to keep a simple eye. I'm committed to unadulterated foods made with love by our creator to nourish our body and mind. For the first time in my life, with respect to fine dining, I can say "That don't impress me much".

May you too let your light shine with the simple things in life. Pure food, pure love, and pure thoughts.

I remain simply yours,

Ta-raw

www.ta-raw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment