Saturday, October 1, 2011

Food moods, are you in tune with your body?

Growing up, I only thought of food when I was hungry. I didn't eat three set meals a day, I just ate when I was hungry and filled up so I wouldn't have to eat again too soon thereafter. As I got older I started to realize that even after I ate, I kept thinking of food.  My stomach would be full but my mind kept craving something more... I started eating sweets after my meal to see if that's what my mind was craving, then I'd try a few chips, then something else. Now my mind and my body are in sync. When my stomach is full, my mind says thank you and, like my younger years, I don't think of eating until I'm hungry again.

Would you like to know the secret to this food contentment? It's nutrition. Growing up, I ate organic veggies from our family farm or garden so my tummy was happy from Mom's amazing cooking and my mind said thank you for the nutrition. Corporate America changed that. In San Diego, we didn't have a garden and although my tummy said I'm full, my brain was saying, "nutrition tank on empty here!" Now eating organic, raw food, my body is in harmony. When my tummy is full from the amazing delights from Revive, my mind moves onto something else. That's a wonderful thing.

Face it, if you're thinking of food all the time, you're going to eat more. If you think of food only when you're hungry, you will eat to nourish yourself rather than with gluttony. Mind you, as the chef at Revive, I think of food even when I'm not hungry because I'm constantly planning future delightful meals to nourish your body and delight your taste buds but my food mood is happy and my spirit is one of caring and sharing.

Think of when you eat fast food or cooked food, aren't you tired after? Don't you want to take a nap? We eat breakfast and we're tired, after lunch we're tired and push through the afternoon so we can make it home for dinner time. After dinner we're exhausted and just want to watch TV. Food mood is red. It's on high alert. Our body is working as hard as it can to process the food we're giving it and our mind is stressed trying to muster up the energy to deal with the chores you want it to complete while screaming for you to give it nutrition. There is no better example of this than in the movie Super Size Me.  He certainly wasn't a vegan to start but he seemed like an intelligent, caring, well spoken person. At the end of the movie, he craved McDonalds, sat in front of the tv and his attitude towards his mate wasn't very caring.  

One couple that did the raw food challenge for 30 days said that after incorporating cooked food into their diet again, they were moody and they argued. They reflected on this and realized that they hadn't argued the month they were on the challenge. Feed the body, feed the mind. Depression can be a result of a lack of nutrition. Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Cancer, Autism, ADHD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Candida are all treatable by diet too.  Do you think that these diseases aren't mood altering?

Bottom line?  Your body is your nearest friend, treat it well. If you took a date to McDonald's you might have a different evening then if you had a candle lit, home made dinner.  You are your bodies advocate, if you abuse it, who will protect it?  You want your body to work for you 7 days a week, 16-18 hours a day? Keep your body clean with pure water or water kefir, nourished with organic food, prepared with care to preserve the nutrition and seasoned with love to cheer your heart. Your body wants to love you and take care of you, do you dare to care and love it back?

I sing the same song for the inside and outside of my body -- Can't  touch this. Fast food, junk food, processed food, gmo food, pesticided food, pasteurized food, slaughtered food... can't touch this doo, da da, doo ... can't touch this.

In exchange, my bodies food mood is pretty much always green. 

Our Cooking Show "Ta-Raw, The uncooking show about healthy vegan food" will air again on Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. It is a half hour show and airs on the local station KGMC Channel 43 or Comcast Channel 10. Learn how to love your body and mind this week. It will post on our website www.makeloveinthekitchen.tv after that.

Yours in health, body and mind.

I remain,

Ta-raw Hamilton

www.facebook.com/revivecafe
www.makeloveinthekitchen.tv 

No comments:

Post a Comment