Sunday, September 11, 2011

911, It's how you view it

10 Years ago today, I was outside my hotel at the Marriott in Chicago waiting for the bus to take me to McCormick Place for our trade show with our eldest daughter Laura.  When the bus driver pulled up to pick up the 20 or so of us, in a panic he said "they've attacked New York".  It was happening as we rode to the Trade Show.  This was day four of an eight day trade show.  Needless to say, nothing else seemed to matter.  Most businesses in Chicago shut down that day and we were glued to our TV and missing the rest of our family in California terribly.  The sense of deep loss and sheer terror made me want to be close to those I loved and be reassured that my world wasn't collapsing around me.

I often look back at that day and think that how the whole group of us felt moments before being told about the attack was totally different than after the attack.  I personally didn't know anyone in that tragedy, just like I didn't know anyone in the Japanese Tsunami but I was more frightened than I had ever been before. Although that day was a tragedy, I have learned a valuable lesson about how powerful our mind is.  Before they attacked New York, the world was the same place as after the attack. Now don't get upset about that statement, think about it. Those terrorists were already out there, they were already planning the attack, they already knew they were going to kill thousands of people.  What changed after the attack was not just the massive loss of life as happened in the Tsunami, but our view of the world.  

Before the attack I viewed the place I lived as a secure, strong fortress.  Had it really been or did I just become aware of the fact that my view was an illusion? Now when I face situations that seem to be overwhelming I remind myself that becoming absorbed in tragedy as we all did in Chicago is not empowering.  For the next four days, business had NOT carried on as usual.  We were so frightened that the trade show pretty much shut down. The businesses remained largely closed. But, other than wallowing in fear, what good did we accomplish?  Looking back on it it now, I could have empowered myself to reach out to the victims of the families in some way.  I could have spent the next four days writing letters of comfort. I could have read books on how to comfort survivors of tragedies, I could have driven to New York and volunteered, I was certainly close enough.  Instead I fed my fear by being glued to the TV.

I've adjusted the way I deal with difficult situations now. I know difficult means something different to everyone but sometimes personal attacks on our character can be difficult and for others difficult is taking care of four grandkids ages 1 to 6, while your daughter is in the hospital. What was the lesson learned for me?  Assess the situation, see if your world is really any different than before you found out about the event.  i.e. before you found out about the character defamation or your daughters severe sickness, did the person already feel that way about you and was the disease already present?  The answer is generally yes.  Then I ask myself, is there anything I can do about it?  If I'm not sure, I seek advice.  Not from friends who don't really have all the answers but from authorities on the subject.  In terms of the sick daughter, read everything you can about that disease, find out what you're dealing with. Remember I'm not saying fill your head up with fear about the disease and worry about if your daughter is going to be fine, I'm saying real knowledge about what the root problem is and are there any solutions. Next take action about what you've learned. Do what you can to alleviate the problem.  It's not going to fix itself overnight, it didn't happen overnight. Although the action or hospitalization may have been swift, there was a long lead up to it. Once you've done what you can, focus on other things that need to be taken care of and that make you feel good. For example, if it's not our daughter that is in the hospital but someone elses, just like it wasn't my family that was hurt by the attacks on 911, can we do something to help the caregiver? Maybe a nourishing meal, a massage, a day trip with the kids.  This flow of positive energy helps overcome the fear and helplessness and reassures the person that you love them.

So today, don't just read about 911 tragedies, reach out to make our family, our community, our city, our world a better place. Remember that 10 years after the attack, you didn't sit in fear thinking about it, you reached out to help someone. Today, I'm going to teach people how to prepare food that nourishes their body and mind. I'm going to spend my resources supporting people working for positive change in their health. We will tape it, so all of you can learn from the comfort of your home later. May you reach out to help people today, in whatever way you can. In with the good, out with the bad.

Yours in health, hope and action.

I remain,

Tara Hamilton
facebook.com/revive
www.makeloveinthekitchen.tv 
www.wholefarmsexpress.com 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment