Monday, January 31, 2011

Whole Days Worth

I grew up eating my salad last.  After I was satisfied with my dinner, I would munch on raw veggies until I was full.  I thought people on a raw diet ate salads all day and since I'd never got full on a salad, I was sure they were always starving.  My son who is a carnivore and who rarely ate salad said to me today, "this is the best salad in the world.  I never thought the day would come where I craved salad, but I crave this stuff."
Our salad is called Whole Days Worth because you get your full 5 servings in every portion but I affectionately call it "I am Splendid."  Let's discover how you can transform the salad afterthought into a nourishing entree that leaves you satiated.
The most important thing about Salad is you don't want it to wilt immediately after you make it, rendering it useless for the next day.  Naomi taught us that if you start with hearty greens like Kale, Collards or Chard, your salad stays fresh in the fridge for 3 days or more!  I start by stripping the green from the stem.  You want just the leafy part and not the hard stem.  I ribbon the greens vertically and then horizontally so they're bite size pieces.  You then squeeze a lemon over the greens and add pink himalayan sea salt.  Massage these with both hands until they turn a deep green, as though you had lightly steamed them.
Then I grate or food process all the veggies I have on hand.  I peel and grate carrots, turnips, daikon radish, beets, rutabaga, parsnips, cauliflower, broccolli etc.  The rainbow of colors that unfold before your eyes, is almost breathtaking.  Don't use potatoes or winter squash or onions.  After you mix all the shredded veggies into the salad, add salt, black pepper, turmeric and olive oil.  Also add sacha inchi oil, flax seed oil or avocado oil so you have your omega 3.  Massage all this together and inhale.  Your whole body will start to relax as you anticipate the nourishment before you.  Put it in a bowl and top with hemp seed for your protein.
You may start off thinking, there is no way I'm going to get full on this. But I have yet to meet someone who isn't completely satiated both in mind and body after they have eaten the salad.  Trust me you'll hear your salad whispering, I am splendid, move over steak and potatoes, here I come! 

Yours in food and health,
Tara Hamilton
559.497-5085, tarahamilton@me.com wholefarmsonline.org

No comments:

Post a Comment